Essential Kitchen Renovation Checklist for a Perfect Upgrade
Commencing a kitchen remodel is thrilling and overwhelming without a clear starting point for some. At Emporium Kitchens, we aim to transform your kitchen renovation journey into an enjoyable experience. As your project reaches completion, we envision you marvelling at the final product, relishing more time in your renovated kitchen for family get-togethers and activities.
The kitchen remodelling is about design and functionality. Take the time to visualise your desired overall design and functionality, tailoring it to suit your needs. We at Emporium Kitchens are delighted to provide a comprehensive, step-by-step remodelling guide, empowering you to take charge of a successful kitchen remodelling project.
Step #1: Plan
Initiate your kitchen remodel by brainstorming ideas for the desired aesthetic. Consider specific colours to set the tone, whether you lean towards traditional, contemporary, or farmhouse chic. Here is the checklist to help you in the planning stage:
- Create a Pinterest board to gather desired kitchen styles.
- Engage a trusted kitchen remodeler to create design options for you before demolition.
- Evaluate your existing kitchen to find out what works in your current kitchen and what you must change to enhance space.
- Identify functional enhancements, such as strategically placed outlets, recessed spice racks, or additional storage.
- Prioritise needs, distinguishing must-haves like a large cooking stove and range hood from nice-to-have – a spacious island.
- Establish a budget, leaving room for unforeseen expenses in your kitchen remodel journey.
Step #2: Select Your Appliances and Customise Your Space
Once you’ve defined your kitchen’s overall look and ambience, it’s time to go into specifics. Narrow down the types of appliances for your contractor’s installation and make choices on critical elements like sink and faucet designs, lighting, and splashbacks.
Consider the following tips:
- Prioritise cabinets first, given their longer lead time.
- Choose the appliance types and brands (Viking, Samsung, GE, Miele, etc.) you’ll love to have in your kitchen. Explore options like stainless steel, glossy, matte, slate, coloured, or retro based on your style.
- Align the sink design with your overall aesthetic, exploring materials like stainless steel, granite composite, or fireclay. Choose mounting options, such as top-mount or under-mount. And select configurations like single-bowl, double-bowl, or farmhouse.
- Determine your preferred benchtop material, such as quartz, granite, soapstone, marble, or butcher block and discuss costs with your kitchen designer or contractor.
- Bring a benchtop sample to a tile distributor for the perfect splashback match in terms of colour and style.
Mix and match patterns and textures to infuse your kitchen with a vibrant and personalised appeal.
Step #3: Kitchen Flooring and Baseboards Installation
After the demolition and any necessary plumbing or electrical adjustments, it’s time to lay the foundation for your new kitchen through flooring installation. This step is pivotal in setting the tone for your culinary space.
Consider the following factors when selecting and installing kitchen flooring:
- If cost is a primary concern, vinyl offers a budget-friendlier option.
- Tile adds beauty but may incur higher costs due to labour and skill in laying and grouting.
- Solid hardwood provides a classic option that seamlessly extends into adjacent rooms.
- Engineered wood mimics natural hardwood but offers enhanced moisture resistance.
- Laminate flooring is widely used due to its moisture and scratch-resistant qualities.
Prudently choose the flooring that aligns with your preferences, ensuring a durable and visually appealing foundation for your renovated kitchen.
Step #4: Kitchen Cabinet Essentials
Kitchen cabinets shape the overall aesthetic of your kitchen. The design choices you make regarding cabinets significantly impact the visual cohesion of the space. Essentially, you’ll work with a combination of wall cabinets affixed to your walls and base cabinets attached to both your floor and the wall cabinets.
When selecting kitchen cabinets, consider the following checklist:
- Decide whether you want cabinets flush with the ceiling or leave space above.
- Explore lighting options such as under-cabinet, above the benchtop, or floorboard lighting.
- Define your cabinet style preference – sleek and modern or adorned with beadboard, decorative moulding, or raised panels.
- Choose between knobs or pulls for cabinets and drawers.
- Consider specially-sized cabinets for oversized items like cutting boards and trays or compact-nook cabinets with built-in spice racks.
- Determine how you want to balance between enclosing cabinets with doors and the open cabinet style.
By addressing these considerations, you’ll curate cabinets that enhance functionality and contribute to the desired aesthetic of your kitchen.
Emporium Kitchens: Specialist in Modern Kitchen Renovation in Sydney
Whether your taste leans towards contemporary chic or timeless tradition, our expert designers are poised to turn your vision into reality, offering you the best kitchen renovation.
Are you ready to transform your culinary space? Call Emporium Kitchens now at (02) 9645 6706 and start your journey to revive your kitchen with unmatched style and functionality.